Vatican Blasts New York Times For Scurrilous Attack on Pope During Holy Week
It’s Holy Week. What better time for the leftists at The New York Times to slander the Catholic Church.
Today the Vatican fired back over the scurrilous report published earlier this week that connected Pope Benedict to a Wisconsin abuse case. The Anchoress noted that it’s not the first time:
But these annual Holy Week Festivals of Sensationalism, in which the press seems to highlight stories designed to shake faith, foment doubt and encourage hate, they do as much damage to the faithful -of all traditions- as these real sins.
The Vatican attacked The New York Times on Wednesday for its coverage of the sexual abuse of children by priests, rejecting accusations that Pope Benedict had mishandled a series of abuse cases before he was elected.
Signaling it had decided to take the gloves off in its reaction to coverage of sexual abuse, a Vatican statement referred specifically to two reporters and a columnist. (http:/www.vatican.va/resources/resources_card-levada2010_en.html)
“I ask the Times to reconsider its attack mode about Pope Benedict XVI and give the world a more balanced view of a leader it can and should count on,” said the 20-paragraph statement written by Cardinal William J. Levada.
Levada, an American, succeeded the pope as head of the Vatican’s doctrinal body after the pontiff’s election in 2005.
The Vatican has denied any cover-up in the abuse of 200 deaf boys in the United States by Reverend Lawrence Murphy from the 1950s to the 1960s. The New York Times reported the Vatican and Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict, were warned about Murphy but he was not defrocked.
The Times said its reports were “based on meticulous reporting and documents.”
Please read this defense of the Pope at The Anchoress to get the rest of the story on the latest manufactured attack on Pope Benedict.
Even the NY Daily News -no fan of Benedict- says the Times blew it on this story.