Feds Remove Second Mojave Cross on Sunrise Rock

Last month the Supreme Court declared that the Mojave Cross on Sunrise Rock could stay where it was.
It was put up 75 years ago to honor World War I troops.

10 days later (leftist) vandals stole the 75 year-old cross from the rock.
Yesterday federal authorities removed the second cross that was put up to replace the first one.
The Press-Enterprise reported:

The Mojave Cross saga took yet another unexpected turn Thursday, when the contested symbol that vanished last week reappeared briefly before being taken down by federal officials.

National Park Service officials learned Thursday morning that a cross again was on top of Sunrise Rock, about 10 miles south of Interstate 15 near Cima Road, a sparsely traveled route into the Mojave National Preserve. It’s about 30 miles east of Baker.

Some version of the cross has stood there for 75 years as a tribute to fallen World War I soldiers. Vandals made off with the cross May 9, 10 days after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that it could remain pending the outcome of a decade-long court battle over whether it should be permitted on public land.

Once federal officials discovered Thursday that it was a replica of the stolen cross, the Justice Department said it had to be taken down.

“It just gets crazier and crazier,” said Wanda Sandoz, who together with her husband, Henry, has acted as a caretaker for the cross for more than 25 years.

Comments

As a privately owned web site, we reserve the right to edit or remove comments that contain spam, advertising, vulgarity, threats of violence, racism, anti-Semitism, or personal/abusive attacks on other users. The same applies to trolling, the use of multiple aliases, or just generally being a jerk. Enforcement of this policy is at the sole discretion of the site administrators and repeat offenders may be blocked or permanently banned without warning