Nigerian Governor Closes Schools After Boko Haram Islamists Burn 40 Students to Death

Public affairs analyst, Mahmoud Othman, advised the Borno state government to shut down schools in the state following the deadly attack on Government Secondary School Mamudo in Yobe state.

The Boko Haram Islamists murdered 40 students this past weekend. The students were torched to death while they slept. Those who tried to escape were shot down like dogs.
The AP reported:

The governor of Nigeria’s northeast Yobe state is ordering all schools closed to avoid attacks by Islamic militants who have killed dozens of students and teachers.

The U.N. children’s agency, meanwhile, said Monday that 48 students and seven teachers have been slain since June in northeast Nigeria.

“There can be no justification for the deliberate targeting of children and those looking after them,” said UNICEF regional director Manuel Fontaine.

Gov. Ibrahim Gaidam issued the order after visiting students with burn and gunshot wounds from Saturday’s attack on a boarding school outside Potiskum, the state’s second largest town. Extremists set a dormitory ablaze, burning some students alive. At least 29 students and one teacher were killed.

Last month Islamic fighters attacked at least two schools, killing 16 students and two teachers.

Comments

As a privately owned web site, we reserve the right to edit or remove comments that contain spam, advertising, vulgarity, threats of violence, racism, anti-Semitism, or personal/abusive attacks on other users. The same applies to trolling, the use of multiple aliases, or just generally being a jerk. Enforcement of this policy is at the sole discretion of the site administrators and repeat offenders may be blocked or permanently banned without warning