2 US Soldiers Killed, 1 Injured in Firefight in Afghanistan (VIDEO)
Heartbreaking news coming out of Afghanistan. Late Thursday evening, two U.S. service members were killed and another wounded after coming under attack during a raid involving Islamic State fighters.
These service members were killed in the hotly contested Nangarhar province, a Defense Department official told Fox News.
The soldiers were actively fighting alongside Afghan defense forces in the same region the MOAB was dropped earlier this month.
“The fight against ISIS-K is important for the world, but sadly, it is not without sacrifice,” said Gen. John W. Nicholson, Commander, U.S. Forces-Afghanistan. “On behalf of all U.S. Forces and our coalition partners, I offer our deepest sympathies to the families, friends and fellow service members of our fallen comrades.”
Next of kin have been notified. In keeping with U.S. [military] policy, the names and of those killed will not be released until 24 hours after next-of-kin notification.
Eighteen ISIS militants were killed in the firefight.
A Fox News source with the Afghanistan military says that ISIS has NOT been considered a major threat in the country with the majority of the focus being put on Taliban fighters. ISIS has an estimated 800 fighters in the region.